Album Notes and Credits
Notes & Personnel Info
|Personnel: Adele (vocals).|
|Recording information: AirStudios, London, England; Angel Studios, London, England; Eastcote Studios, London, England; Harmony Studios, West Hollywood, CA; metropolis Studios, London, England; Myaudiotonic Studios, London, England; Patriot Studios, Denver, CO; Serenity Sound, Hollywood, CA; Shangri La Studios, Malibu, CA; Sphere Studios, London, England; Wendyhouse Productions, London, England.|
|Editor: Dana Nielsen.|
|Photographer: Lauren Dukoff.|
|Adele's 2009 debut album, 19, was a Grammy-winning smash hit that revealed the British singer/songwriter's knack for bittersweet soul and folk-infused love songs that brought to mind an infectious mix of Dusty Springfield and Terry Callier. The album earned her a ton of fans, and interest was high for the inevitable follow-up. In many ways, her sophomore album, the similarly age-appropriate-titled 21, is a continuation of the sounds and themes Adele was working with on 19. She is still the bluesy pop diva with a singer/songwriter's soul and seemingly bottomless capacity for heartbreak. The best thing the album does is to showcase Adele's titanic vocal ability, which -- more than a few times on 21 -- is simply spine-tingling. Last time around we got the gauzy, Callier-esque folk-soul ballad "Daydreamer" to slowly draw us into the album; here, Adele immediately injects us with the propulsive gospel fever-blues anthem "Rolling in the Deep." While the track certainly owes a heavy debt to the punk-blues of Beth Ditto and the Gossip, it is also ridiculously sexy and one of the best singles of any decade. Elsewhere, we get tracks like the blues-inflected Ryan Tedder co-write "Rumour Has It" and the old-school-style soul cut "He Won't Go," which are terrifically catchy, booty-shaking numbers and exactly the kind of songs you want and expect from Adele. Similarly enthralling is the centerpiece of the album, the mega-ballad showstopper "Take It All." Co-written by her "Chasing Pavements" partner Francis White, the song begins with Adele proclaiming "Didn't I give it all?" Delivered starkly at first with Adele set against simple piano accompaniment and later backed by a gospel choir, it's an instant-classic sort of song in the tradition of "The Rose," "And I Am Telling You I Am Not Going," and "All by Myself" that could stand over the years as a career landmark for the singer and a cathartic moment for fans who identify with their idol's Pyrrhic lovelorn persona. Ultimately, Adele does give us her all on 21, and for now that is enough. ~ Matt Collar|
Adele - 21 - CD Review
By: TYRONE S REID Blogcritics.org Reviews
Published on: 2/17/2011 3:59 PM
|At 22, with a platinum-selling debut and Best New Artist Grammy to her name, soulful British siren Adele boasts enviable laurels in a youth-obsessed music industry, and evidence of her intimidating talent is fully reflected on 21 (XL/Columbia Records), Adele’s second studio album, a refreshing and endlessly charming collection, is thoroughly imbued with lyrical grace and lucidity while showcasing her brilliant songwriting. Even so, Adele’s music remains remarkably sprightly and vividly expressive and retains the appeal that has captivated her wide and loyal audience....read the full review|
|Original Broadway Cast|
|Now That's What I Call Music 38|
|2012 Grammy Nominees|
|Chimes Of Freedom:songs Of Bob Dylan|
|2013 Grammy Nominees|
|Pay Close Attention:xl Recordings|
Associated Artists and Works
|Guitar Tribute Players|
|Players, Guitar Tribute (The)|
|Release Date : 02/22/2011|
|Original Release Date : 2011|
|Catalog ID : 44699|
|Label : Columbia (USA)|
|Number of Discs : 1|
|Studio/Live : Studio|
|SPAR Code : n/a|
- 3.5 stars out of 5 -- "Adele has toughened her tone, trimmed the jazz frippery and sounds ready for a pub fight....When the grooves are fierce, Adele gives as good as she gets."
- Ranked #1 in Rolling Stone's '50 Best Albums Of 2011' -- "21 was this year's most stunning pop success....The sound is state-of-the-art retro soul..."
- "[S]he wails harder and writes bolder, piling on the dramatic production flourishes to suggest a lover's apocalypse."
- "[T]his album is that rarest pop commodity: timeless." -- Grade: A-
- Ranked #1 in Entertainment Weekly's 'The Top 10 Albums Of 2011' -- "21 features a rare thing: a singer who can seriously sing, belting out inspired love songs inspired by another time on an album that feels genuinely timeless."
- 3 stars out of 5 -- "'Rolling In The Deep' sounds thrillingly like a girl group govering Gnarls Barkley's 'Crazy,' 'Rumour Has It' is a driving, bluesy stomp and 'Take It All' has Aretha written all over it."
- "On 21, she sounds refreshed and poised to attack....Adele emerges with a well-manicured batch of songs that, while still showcasing her interest in layered musicality, shoot straight for the pop charts..."
- "Adele is sincere, poignant and affecting throughout; the emotive 'Someone Like You' closes the album magnificently."
Customer Reviews of 21
Beautiful contralto voice! Highly recommended on monitor speakers.
great music ..great deal5/3/2012
This is a very good deal for music lover. All the songs are really good. Adele is just too good. I love her music. You must have this album for you music collection. I have became her huge fan after this album. I recommend everyone to get this album if you love true music.
There's a reason this CD is so popular3/30/2012
It's nice to hear actual music - with someone singing well (as opposed to the computer-manipulated stuff popular today). I'd recommend this CD to anyone that likes good music. And this is from a rabid Led Zeppelin fan!
The product was exactly as I expected.
Great Buy. She is a great singer
This blows 19 out of the water. Adele has a voice that reflects her few more years of crooning. I had the album A.S.A.P. It's a MUST have for any collection :)
Is it February 22, yet?1/22/2011
This is one album that I am just going crazy with the anticipation to get my hands on it! Adele has a very special way of reaching out to your soul with her voice and almost every scenario she so soulfully sings about is relatable. She's been through some heartbreaking relationships, but shows us just how strong and resilient she is...hero! Such a talented performer..can't wait to receive my pre-order!!