Every recording artist has one album that they are destined to make - an album so singularly in-sync with their sensibility and history that its making smacks of pure destiny. For Steve Tyrell
- a distinguished Grammy winner, Emmy nominated purveyor of pop standards and a behind the scenes impresario - that album is Back to Bacharach
, a deeply personal collection of songs from the piano of Burt Bacharach
and the pen of Hal David
The song that gets the Technicolor treatment on Back to Bacharach is Bacharach and David's anthem, "What the World Needs Now is Love," a song Steve believes is "more relevant now than it ever was." Bacharach's piano glues together the whole affair which features superstars Rod Stewart, James Taylor, Martina McBride and Dionne Warwick along with Tyrell. The all-star recording is for a worthy cause - all proceeds will go to the National Colorectal Cancer Research Alliance (NCCRA) in remembrance of Steve's wife Stephanie (who passed away from Colon Cancer five years ago) and Jay Monahan, the late husband of television journalist Katie Couric.
Other classics featured on the Back to Bacharach album are: "Walk on By," The Look of Love," Close to You," "A House is Not a Home," "This Guy's in Love," "One Less Bell to Answer," "Reach Out for Me," "I Say a Little Prayer for You," "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself," "Always Something There to Remind Me," "Don't Make Me Over" and the Oscar winning "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head."
"This album is different from any I'll ever do," states Tyrell, who in the last decade has been at the forefront of a renaissance in recordings from the Great American Songbook via his previous six projects. "The music of my friends Burt and Hal has been a lifelong collaboration. Their songs are my songs. It's a very unique situation."
"I like to say Back to Bacharach was 40 years in the making," Steve concludes. "There is no other music like this in my life. And I am honored to share it with the world...my way."
1. Walk on By
2. The Look of Love
3. This Guy's in Love (feat. Herb Alpert and Burt Bacharach)
4. What the World Needs Now (feat. Burt Bacharach, Martina Mcbride, Rod Stewart, James Taylor and Dionne Warwick)
5. Reach Out for Me
6. One Less Bell to Answer
7. I Say a Little Prayer for You (feat. Patti Austin)
8. I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself (feat. Burt Bacharach)
9. Always Something There to Remind Me
10. Don't Make Me Over (feat. Patti Austin)
11. Close to You
12. A House is Not a Home
14. Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head