|Eminem isn't an average rapper. He's phenomenal. His first set on Aftermath/Interscope Records, already has underground hip-hop heads finding for Eminem. Chock full of dazzling lyrical escapades that delve into the mind of a violently warped and vulgar yet extremely talented wordsmith, the 14-cut collection contains some of the most memorable and demented lyrics ever recorded. For Eminem, his potentially controversial and undoubtedly offensive songs will strike a chord with a multitude of hip-hop loyalists who believe they have little to lose and everything to gain. |
Each tune is sure to paralyze meek listeners with their relentless lyrical assault. Produced primarily by long-time collaborators FBT Productions, the Slim Shady LP also features beatwork from Aftermath CEO Dr. Dre. The N.W.A. alum handled beats for "My Name Is" (the second single), "Guilty Conscience" and "Role Model". Dr. Dre was to impressed after hearing Eminem freestyling on Friday Night Flavas on Power 106 that he put out a manhunt for the Michigan rhymer. Shortly thereafter, Dre signed Eminem to his Aftermath imprint and the two began working together. Thoroughly impressed with Eminem's previously released independent The Slim Shady EP, Dre said they would include many of the EP's tracks on the album.
Album Notes and Credits
Notes & Personnel Info
|Personnel: Eminem, Snoop, Xzibit, Nate Dogg, Sticky Fingaz (rap vocals); Dido (vocals); Jeff Bass, Steve Berman, Paul "Bunyan" Rosenberg (spoken vocals); Mike Elizondo (guitar, keyboards, bass); Sean Cruise, John Bingham (guitar); Tommy Coster, Jr., Camara Kambon (keyboards); DJ Head (programming).|
|D-12: Kon Artis, Proof, Kuniva, Swifty, Bizarre (rap vocals).|
|Producers include: Dr. Dre, The 45 King, Mel-Man, F.B.T., Eminem.|
|Engineers: Richard "Segal" Huredia, Mike Butler, Aaron Lepley.|
|THE MARSHALL MATHERS LP won the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Rap Album. "The Real Slim Shady" won the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance. THE MARSHALL MATHERS LP was nominated for the 2001 Grammy Award for Album Of The Year.|
|Personnel: Eminem (vocals); Mike Elizondo (guitar, keyboards); John Bigham (guitar); Tom Coster, Jr., Camara Kambon (keyboards).|
|Audio Mixers: Mike Butler; Michelle Lynn Forbes; Akane Nakamura; Eminem; Rob Ebeling; Chris Conway ; Richard Huredia; Rick Behrens.|
|Recording information: 54 Sound, Detroit, MI; Chung King; Encore Studios; Larabee Sound Studios; The Mix Room; The Record Plant, Los Angeles, CA.|
|Photographer: Joe-Mama Nitzberg.|
|A Caucasian rapper from Detroit, a Dr. Dre disciple with bright blonde hair--at first glance, Eminem seemed the unlikeliest of hip-hop stars. However, his debut, THE SLIM SHADY LP, contained clever rhymes and even the occasional innovation. His sophomore effort, THE MARSHALL MATHERS LP, proved that Eminem was no fluke, but instead a legitimate rap visionary.|
|While his horror/shock rap can be unsettling, it's more often hilarious, as he and his Slim Shady character skewer anyone and everyone, notably the MTV-based world that surrounded him after the success of his first record. Few can come up with rhymes as consistently clever as this Motor City madman, and lines that will be repeated as long as this CD is spun. The most startling moment has to be "Stan," featuring haunting, ethereal guest vocals from Dido; an incongruously sublime track, it spins an O. Henry-meets-'60s teenage-death-song tale of obsessed fan worship gone terribly wrong.|
2Pac | 3rd Bass | AZ | Beastie Boys | Cypress Hill | Dr. Dre | Eazy-E | Geto Boys | Ice Cube | Kool G Rap & DJ Polo | N.W.A | Nas | Onyx | OutKast | Public Enemy | Randy Newman | Run-D.M.C. | Slick Rick | Snoop Dogg | The Notorious B.I.G. | Too $hort | Twista | Wu-Tang Clan | X Clan
Asher Roth | Atmosphere | B Real | Benzino | Busta Rhymes | Cam'ron | Capone-N-Noreaga | Company Flow | D12 | Esham | Everlast | G-Unit | Game | Ghostface Killah | Gonzales | Insane Clown Posse | Jay-Z | Jim Jones (Rap) | Juvenile | Kid Rock | Lil' Kim | Ludacris | M.O.P. | Machine Gun Kelly | MC Paul Barman | Method Man | Obie Trice | Ol' Dirty Bastard | Petey Pablo | PRhyme | Proof | Redman | Royce da 5'9" | Slim Thug | Snoop Dogg | The Dayton Family | Xzibit
Associated Artists and Works
|Kid, DJ Whoo|
|Lounge Brigade (The)|
|Release Date : 05/22/2000|
|Original Release Date : 2000|
|Catalog ID : 4906292|
|Label : Interscope (USA)|
|Number of Discs : 1|
|Studio/Live : Studio|
|Mono/Stereo : Stereo|
|SPAR Code : n/a|
|UPC : 00606949062927|
- Ranked #1 in Rolling Stone's Top 10 Albums of 2000 - "...His tortured conscience gives the album its complex emotional kick..."
- 4 stars out of 5 - "...He's more funny and much more scary....A car-crash record: loud, wild, dangerous, out of control, grotesque, unsettling. It's also impossible to pull your ears awat from."
- Ranked #3 in Spin's "Top 20 Albums of the Year " - "...What 'going too far' means: really, finally brought that psycho rude s*** home to the 'burbs....leaving more things unsettled than when he started."
- "...Indefensible and critic-proof, hypocritical and heartbreaking, unlistenable and undeniable; it's a disposable shock-rap session, and the first great pop record of the 21st century..." - Rating: A-
- Included in Q's "50 Best Albums of 2000".
- 3 stars out of 5 - "...[His] disaffection sucks you in and the wholesale nihilism can still provoke shivers..."
- 4 stars out of 5 - "...You might not like where he's dragging you, but there's no denying the style with which he does it..."
- Included in CMJ's "Best of the Year" for 2000.
- "...Musically, the album is a triumph....You can't deny [the lyrics'] searing honesty, and that's what makes [him] one of pop's compelling artists."
- "...Should forever erase the notion that [he] is the Elvis Presley of hardcore hip hop. If anything, he's rap's Eric Clapton: a white boy who can hang with the best black talent based on sheer skill - enhancing the art form instead of stealing from it."
- 4 mics out of 5 - "...You wanna peep [this LP], if not for the intense lyrics and witty punch lines, at least for the chance of witnessing one of the craziest MCs grow up right before ya ears."
- 4 stars out of 5 - "...It has an answer to everything, filling every parking-spot in the towering multi-storey of ego with a triple-bluffmobile....No one else puts such a rocket under rap's self-consciousness or makes it so shocking..."
- "...Even more abrasive and offensive....proving again that his imagery and storytelling abilities stand tall over most other rappers..."
- Ranked #78 in Mojo's "100 Modern Classics" -- "The results were brutal, politically insane, loaded with pop hooks, and hysterically funny."
- Ranked #7 in NME's "Top 50 Albums Of The Year".
- 9 out of 10 - "...Real twisted...one long, disillusioned whine....[It] may be the white noise of America's Most Unwanted, but it also the product of a talent supremely Untouchable."
Customer Reviews of Marshall Mathers Lp (Explicit Version)
The most wicked album ever!5/11/2012
Having picked up the album on the day of release in England, this is dope! It's a lot better than his first album: don't believe me, check out the album's masterpiece 'Stan' about his obsessive fan! It's, in places, as funny, if not funnier than the 'Slim Shady LP', and will even fulfill you Dre heads with guests including RBX, Dre, X to the Z, Snoop, Nate and Sticky Fingaz, and D-12's own Bizarre. Basically, pick this up, it's hotter than hell!
Best CD to date from Mr. Mathers4/16/2009
By far, his best work he has done to date. I am a huge fan, but will cut him down if I don't think his work is up to par. Every CD will have someone's personal favorites, that they play over and over. To me, I will simply put the CD in and let Slim take me where he intended me to go. Through his mind, one perfect laid out track after another.
same as anything he touches..MIRACULOUS
Life is exactly like that!!!!2/11/2004
Look i see Eminem as a man who speaks what he has on his mind, although what he says is what he went thru, or shall i say "what he lived." Hes got a great mind, however if he wasnt introduced to hip-hop at such a young age i think he would'ev never developed his brain in that direction, to rap about things thats going on in his life! See everything is about rap in his life now "i think" and if nothings gonna happen in his life then there is nothing to rap about. I dont care as long as he can bring us the music, keep it up Em...I love u...Your 2nd biggest fan. Why i say 2nd biggest is, because somebody already told you that he or she is your biggest fan. I think your music is great!
View all buying options for Marshall Mathers Lp (Explicit Version)
|SHOP INFORMATION||PRODUCT DETAILS||PRICE/SHIPPING/AVAILABILITY/CONDITION|
All our items are brand new - Ships directly from our Warehouse in California - Estimated delivery time: 5-7 days after shipment.
+ $2.98 shipping
Shipping: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days
All products are BRAND NEW and factory sealed. Fast shipping with tracking and delivery confirmation! 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
+ FREE SHIPPING
Shipping: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days
About the Seller
Marketplace Guarantee ClaimBuyers should receive Marketplace items in the condition that they were listed. We ask buyers to first contact the seller to give them a chance to address any issues. If the seller does not respond or if the issue is not addressed to the customer's satisfaction buyers can rely on our Rakuten.com Marketplace Guarantee Claim which, covers the first $750 of every purchase... read more
Expedited Shipping: 2 to 6 business days