The authoritative guide to the state of the art in ad hoc wireless networking.
- Reflects the field's latest breakthroughs
- Covers media access, routing, service discovery, multicasting, power conservation, transport protocol, and much more
- Includes a complete narration of prototype implementation with communication performance results from practical field trials
- Introduces key applications for home, business, auto, and defense
"Ad hoc" wireless networks eliminate the complexities of infrastructure setup and administration, enabling devices to create and join networks "on the fly"-anywhere, anytime, for virtually any application. The field is rapidly coming of age, reflecting powerful advances in protocols, systems, and real-world implementation experience. In "Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks," one of the field's leading researchers brings together these advances in a single consolidated and comprehensive archive. C.K. Toh covers all this, and more:
- Key challenges: device heterogeneity, diverse traffic profiles, mobility, and power conservation
- Routing protocols for ad hoc networks, including Associativity Based Routing (ABR) and other IETF MANET protocols
- Real-world implementation issues-including a complete prototype implementation
- Ad hoc wireless network performance: results obtained from the latest field trials
- Leading approaches to service discovery
- Addressing TCP over an ad hoc wireless network environment
- Support for multicast communications
- The role of Bluetooth and WAP
"Ad Hoc Mobile Wireless Networks" introduces detailed application scenarios ranging fromhome and car to office and battlefield. C.K. Toh also introduces several of the field's leading projects, from Motorola's PIANO platform to UC Berkeley's "Smart Dust." Whether you're a researcher, scientist, implementer, consultant, technical manager, CTO, or student, you won't find a more authoritative and comprehensive guide to the new state of the art in ad hoc networking.