Alright Still (Cln) (2006)
|Artist: Lily Allen|
|With her much-buzzed-about debut album, Alright, Still, singer Lily Allen, the daughter of veteran British comedian Keith Allen, presents a bright, buoyant collection of pop songs that are smartly counterbalanced by her often-biting lyrical edge. On the breezy, immediately catchy "Smile," the sultry-voiced Allen takes pleasure in the woes of a former beau, while the bleakly upbeat urban ode "LDN" recalls an unlikely fusion of the Streets and Norah Jones. Though part of Allen's charm is in her day-in-the-life, U.K.-specific observations (see the punchy "Knock 'Em Out"), Alright, Still has enough sass, verve, and melody to appeal to a wide international audience.
Album Notes and Credits
Notes & Personnel Info
|Personnel: Mark Nicholls, Paul Farr (guitar); Michael Rose (saxophone); Eddie "Tan Tan" Thornton (trumpet); Trevor Edwards (trombone); John Ellis (keyboards); Clive Hunte, John Waddington (bass instrument); Jonny Wimbolt Lewis, Paul Powell (drums).|
Producer: Greg Kurstin
Betty Boo | Gwen Stefani | Happy Mondays | Lady Saw | Madness | Missy Elliott | Ms. Dynamite | Neneh Cherry | Saint Etienne | The Specials | The Streets (Producer)
Amy Winehouse | Annie | Dev | Dido | Donora | Duffy | Eliza Doolittle | Ellie Goulding | Feist | Jamie Cullum | Jamie T. | Kate Nash | Katy B | Katy Perry | Lady Gaga | Lady Sovereign | Leona Lewis | Little Jackie | Lykke Li | Mr. Hudson & the Library | Natalia Kills | Natasha Bedingfield | Nellie McKay | Nelly Furtado | New Young Pony Club | Pixie Lott | Plan B (UK Rap) | Remi Nicole | Sophie Ellis-Bextor | The Bird and the Bee | The Good Natured | The Pipettes | Wild Belle
Associated Artists and Works
|Release Date : 01/30/2007|
|Original Release Date : 2006|
|Catalog ID : 79661|
|Label : Capitol/EMI Records|
|Number of Discs : 1|
|Studio/Live : Studio|
|Mono/Stereo : Stereo|
|SPAR Code : n/a|
|UPC : 00094637966129|
- 3.5 stars out of 5 -- "[She] writes shambling pop songs, rooted in ska and rap, with cheeky rhymes....Lily Allen's an original."
- Included in Rolling Stone's "50 Top Albums of the Year 2007" -- "[E]leven memorable songs..."
- 4 stars out of 5 -- "ALL RIGHT, STILL is all about the stories behind the stories..."
- Ranked #8 in Entertainment Weekly's "Top 10 Records Of 2006" -- "[A] collection of irresistible pop songs imbued with both smarts and street cred."
- Ranked #57 in Q Magazine's "100 Greatest Albums of 2006."