Black Cadillac (2006)
|Artist: Rosanne Cash|
Album Notes and Credits
Notes & Personnel Info
|Personnel: Rosanne Cash (vocals); Rosanne Cash; John Leventhal (various instruments, guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, 12-string guitar, dobro, mandolin, piano, keyboards, percussion, background vocals); Bill Bottrell (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, 12-string guitar, E-bow, bouzouki, mandocello, background vocals); Albert Wing (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Jose Hernandez (trumpet); Bruce Fowler (trombone); Benmont Tench (piano, organ, Wurlitzer organ, background vocals); Michael Rhodes (bass instrument); Brian Macleod (drums, background vocals); Dan Schwartz, Catherine Russell (background vocals); Kevin Breit (acoustic guitar, mandolin); Shawn Pelton, Charlie Drayton (drums).|
|Audio Mixers: Bill Bottrell; John Leventhal.|
|Liner Note Author: Rosanne Cash.|
|Recording information: 12th Street Studio, New York, NY (11/2004-07/2005); Loho Studios, New York, NY (11/2004-07/2005); The Pass Studio, Los Angeles, CA (11/2004-07/2005).|
|Photographer: Ethan Russell.|
|Between 2003 and 2005, Rosanne Cash lost her father Johnny, stepmother June, and mother Vivian. The songs that populate BLACK CADILLAC are fueled by those losses; it's an elegiac album full of wistful longing for the departed. At the same time, Cash's music has gotten more adventurous with each album of her career, and BLACK CADILLAC is no exception; the looming bass line that drives the opening track, for instance, could have come off a Massive Attack album, and "Burn Down This Town" rides on cutting blues guitar riffs. There are a number of contemplative ballads, of course, but the sharpness of Cash's writing and the richness of her aesthetic keep things from ever getting maudlin.|
Producer: Bill Bottrell; John Leventhal; Cheryl Kaplan; Bill Bottrell
Engineer: John Leventhal; Kevin Killen; Mimi Parker
|Release Date : 01/23/2006|
|Original Release Date : 2006|
|Catalog ID : 3487380|
|Label : Capitol|
|Number of Discs : 1|
|Studio/Live : Studio|
|Mono/Stereo : Stereo|
|SPAR Code : n/a|
|UPC : 00094634873802|
- 4 stars out of 5 -- "[A]t every turn -- high-mountain balladry, brassy R&B, near-metallic blues rock -- Rosanne sings of coming through loss with a poise and confessional will that are utterly country and absolutely in the family tradition."
- "[T]he best of Cash's nuanced compositions, especially the luminous piano ballads 'I Was Watching You' and 'The World Unseen,' turns her healing process into great art." -- Grade: B
- 4 stars out of 5 -- "BLACK CADILLAC is the most intense record of Cash's career. A meditation on life and identity as much as loss, her soul is laid bare..."
- "Her intimate portraits offer a glimpse inside the Cash family circle, but just as compelling is her ability to articulate complex emotions in simple, artful, meaningful way
- 4 stars out of 5 -- "Cash has fashioned a tear-stained, yet tasteful, requiem."
Customer Reviews of Black Cadillac
Rosanne Cash's most personal work?5/14/2008
This is a spare, beautifully done, very personal album of songs about: Loss, family, and carrying on with life in the face of seemingly insurmountable issues. It should appeal to a broad spectrum of fans, from country to alt-country to blues, to modern rock. The introductory video on the enhanced CD was especially moving. And her voice sounds as rich and full as ever.
View all buying options for Black Cadillac
|SHOP INFORMATION||PRODUCT DETAILS||PRICE/SHIPPING/AVAILABILITY/CONDITION|
+ $1.90 shipping
Shipping: Usually Ships within 24 hours
Condition: Brand New
All products are BRAND NEW and factory sealed. Fast shipping with tracking and delivery confirmation! 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
+ $2.99 shipping
Shipping: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days