Carried To Dust (2008)
Album Notes and Credits
Notes & Personnel Info
|Calexico: Joey Burns, Paul Niehaus, Martin Wenk, Jacob Valenzuela, Volker Zander.|
|After 2006's GARDEN RUIN, which downplayed the last half of Calexico's portmanteau name considerably in favor of an alt-folk sound much more in line with their occasional collaborators, Iron and Wine, CARRIED TO DUST is a strong return to the classic Calexico sound. Joey Burns and John Convertino infuse their largely acoustic indie rock songs with Ennio Morricone-style spaghetti western climaxes, mariachi horns, flamenco guitars, and other evocative sounds of the American Southwest. One difference is a newfound political sensitivity, best heard on the powerful opener, "Victor Jara's Hands," in honor of the Chilean poet and political activist tortured and murdered by henchmen of his country's brutal military junta in 1973. Another highlight is "El Gatillo (Trigger Revisited)," a complete reworking of a song that first appeared on 1998's THE BLACK LIGHT. CARRIED TO DUST is available as a digital download, a standard CD, and a vinyl LP.|
|I'm Not There (Soundtrack)|
|Friday Night Lights|
|I Am the Resurrection: A Tribute to John Fahey|
|Tijuana Sessions 3|
Associated Artists and Works
|In The Reins [EP] ~ Iron & Wine|
|Release Date : 09/09/2008|
|Original Release Date : 2008|
|Catalog ID : Qs108pr|
|Label : Quarterstick|
|Number of Discs : 1|
|Studio/Live : Studio|
|Mono/Stereo : Stereo|
|SPAR Code : n/a|
|UPC : 00036172010820|
- 3.5 stars out of 5 -- "Bouncing from South American political icons to snowy Russian cities, CARRIED TO DUST's songs travel a trail that seems carved out of ancient echoes."
- 4 stars out of 5 -- "[M]ost of DUST's tracks have a cinematic quality, from the haunting strings of the shockingly Simon And Garfunkel-esque 'The News About William' to the full-blown mariachi vibe of 'Inspiracion'..."
- "Burns and Convertino have swapped sincere-yet-simplistic politics for mysterious, discursive travelogues and brought back the mariachi horns and twangy desert guitars."
- 3 stars out of 5 -- "This time the desert noir instrumentals are back and as captivating as ever, ranging from spaghetti western to orchestral."
- 3.5 stars out of 5 -- "[T]his Arizona six-piece makes music about drifing from crumbling dance halls to off-the-grid cantinas, all richly evoked by Ennio Morricone guitars, mariachi horns and pedal steel."
- "CARRIED TO DUST is all wide-open spaces....Journeying infuses most of the album, from 'Bend to the Road' to haunting closer 'Contention City'....This one is a beauty from start to finish."
- "Central track 'Man Made Lake' tells the whole story -- poetic, beautiful and with that familiar Mexican sound to it."
Customer Reviews of Carried To Dust
Calexico's Finest Album To Date9/20/2008
I'll admit I have been a huge Calexico fan for awhile, but each of their albums have had a few songs that just didn't do it for me. Not so with this album, which could alternately be titled "The Best Elements Of Calexico From Start To Finish." If you're looking for Calexico's trademark mariachi-style trumpets married to a modern techno beat, you'll find it in "Inspiracion" and the guitar-heavy "El Gatillo". "Two Silver Trees" is a superb effort that combines some seriously seductive hooks with the softer side of Joey Burns' amazing vocals. Like many people, I'm eagerly waiting for another Iron & Wine/Calexico collaboration, so I was delighted to listen to Sam Beam's guest contribution on the exquisitely gorgeous "House of Valparaiso". As a whole I think Calexico take a step or two toward the pop side of things, but let me stress that this is not a bad thing in the least. ALL of the classic elements of the band are here in spades - the creative instrumentation, thoughtful lyrics, and wonderful vocal arrangements. This makes for one heck of a fine album, and an extremely enjoyable one at that.
View all buying options for Carried To Dust
|SHOP INFORMATION||PRODUCT DETAILS||PRICE/SHIPPING/AVAILABILITY/CONDITION|
All our items are brand new - Ships directly from our Warehouse in California - Estimated delivery time: 5-7 days after shipment.
+ $2.98 shipping
Shipping: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days
All products are BRAND NEW and factory sealed. Fast shipping with tracking and delivery confirmation! 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
+ $2.99 shipping
Shipping: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days
+ $1.90 shipping
Shipping: Usually Ships within 24 hours
Condition: Brand New
About the Seller
Marketplace Guarantee ClaimBuyers should receive Marketplace items in the condition that they were listed. We ask buyers to first contact the seller to give them a chance to address any issues. If the seller does not respond or if the issue is not addressed to the customer's satisfaction buyers can rely on our Rakuten.com Marketplace Guarantee Claim which, covers the first $750 of every purchase... read more
Expedited Shipping: 2 to 6 business days