Generalization is the key to effective autism intervention?when children can apply new skills across settings, they'll make broad, long-term improvements in behavior and social communication. The first how-to guide to generalization is finally here! Practical and reader-friendly, this is the book that helps professionals take today's most popular autism interventions to the next level by making generalization an integral part of them.
Pre-K?Grade 8 special educators, early interventionists, SLPs, and other professionals will
- enhance 6 widely used autism intervention models with specific, evidence-based generalization strategies
- get dozens of easy activities that really help children use new skills consistently?no matter where they are or who they're with
- learn about generalization from the experts who know best, with contributions from top autism authorities like Ilene Schwartz, Carol Gray, Andy Bondy, Laura Schriebman, and Bryna Siegel
- provide positive, supportive parent education so they can be active partners in promoting their children's generalization of skills
- weave generalization strategies into every phase of intervention planning, not just at the end after skills have already been learned
- modify generalization strategies for different settings, so children can achieve their ultimate goal: applying their skills successfully in school, at home, and in the community
- assess the effectiveness of generalization strategies at multiple stages of instruction
Case studies and vivid examples bring the strategies to life in every chapter, and forms and checklists help professionals plan interventions, track children's goals, and monitor their progress toward generalization. With this urgently needed guide to one of the most important facets of autism intervention, readers will help children generalize social behaviors and communication skills?and ensure better lives and brighter futures.
Make generalization strategies a part of these popular interventions:
- Pivotal Response Training
- Discrete Trial Instruction
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Social Stories?
- Computer-Assisted Intervention
- JumpStart Learning-to-Learn