Rush Of Blood To The Head (2002)
|Coldplay's follow-up to Parachutes picks up where they left off. Thanks in part to Chris Martin's ethereal voice and the sweeping lines that emanate from Jonny Buckland's guitar, Coldplay's melodies luxuriate songs like, "The Scientist," and "A Whisper."|
Album Notes and Credits
Notes & Personnel Info
|Coldplay includes: Chris Martin (vocals); Guy Berryman, Jon Buckland, Will Champion, Phil Harvey.|
|Recorded between 2001 & 2002.|
|"Clocks" won the 2004 Grammy Award for Record Of The Year. A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album. "In My Place" won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal.|
|Personnel: Chris Martin (vocals, guitar); Jon Buckland (guitar); Richard George, Christopher Tombling, Laura Melhewish, Anne Lines, Leo Payne, Peter Lale, Susan Dench, Audrey Riley (strings); Will Champion (drums, percussion).|
|Audio Mixers: Coldplay; Danton Supple; Ken Nelson ; Mark Pythian.|
|Recording information: Studio 1 Air (09/2001-05/2002); Studio 1, Air Abik (09/2001-05/2002); Studio 2 Mayfair (09/2001-05/2002); Studio 2, Mayfair, England (09/2001-05/2002); Studio 3 Parr Street (09/2001-05/2002); Studio 3, Parr Street (09/2001-05/2002).|
|Photographers: Zed Nelson; Tom Sheehan .|
|In 2000, Coldplay appeared seemingly out of nowhere and immediately advanced to the head of the Britpop class in the UK, while easily outdistancing the likes of Oasis and Blur in terms of US popularity. The most striking thing was that they did it with zero attitude and unassuming, melodic tunes humbly presented with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of memorability. That trend continues on the band's second album, A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD.|
|There's little stylistic alteration from PARACHUTES here, which is just fine, considering how enormously and instantly appealing that style is. While Travis, Elbow, and other entrants in the Britpop sweepstakes offer a not dissimilar sound, none can communicate with the honest immediacy and directness of Coldplay. Part of the key, apart from melodies so ridiculously catchy as to make Belle & Sebastian sound like Public Image Ltd., may be their working-class sense of all-for-one proletarianism (though not in the breast-beating Oasis manner). Even on "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face," when Chris Martin goes so far as to offer a few boastful phrases, the ultimate sentiment that comes across is the refrain "your guess is good as mine."|
Producer: Coldplay; Ken Nelson; Mark Phythian
Engineer: Coldplay; Ken Nelson; Mark Phythian; Rik Simpson
Blur | Cast (U.K.) | Catherine Wheel | Echo & the Bunnymen | James | Jeff Buckley | Nick Drake | Oasis | R.E.M. | Radiohead | Ride | The Beatles | The Chameleons UK | The House of Love | The Smiths | The Stone Roses | The Verve | U2
Adele | Aqualung | Badly Drawn Boy | Colony House | Dave Matthews | David Gray | Death Cab for Cutie | Doves | Elbow | Embrace (Britpop) | Gene | Geneva (Scotland) | Gomez | Jeff Buckley | Keane | Lowgold | Manic Street Preachers | Mansun | Mat Kearney | Monks of Mellonwah | Oasis | Ocean Colour Scene | Passenger (UK) | Placebo (UK) | Richard Ashcroft | Robbie Williams | Rogue Wave | Sarah Blasko | Snow Patrol | Starsailor | The Fray | The Killers (US) | The Lightning Seeds | The Verve | Travis (UK) | Turin Brakes | U2
Associated Artists and Works
|Vitamin String Quartet|
|Release Date : 08/26/2002|
|Original Release Date : 2002|
|Catalog ID : 5405042|
|Label : Capitol|
|Number of Discs : 1|
|Studio/Live : Studio|
|Mono/Stereo : Stereo|
|SPAR Code : n/a|
|UPC : 00724354050428|
- Included in Rolling Stone's "50 Best Albums of 2002"
- 4 stars out of 5 - "...A nervier, edgier, thoroughly surprising album....the band has figured out how to let loose and rock out...[it's] first-rate guitar rock with some real emotional protein on its bones."
- Ranked #26 on Spin's list of 2002's "Albums of the Year" - "...Harder and darker than 2000's sweetly naive PARACHUTES....gorgeous arena pop."
- Included in Q Magazine's "50 Best Albums of 2002"
- 4 stars out of 5 - "...This is pretty much the apotheosis of post-Radiohead guitar-rock, a collection of vastly moving songs that will render stadiums as intimate as bedrooms..."
- Ranked #67 in Uncut's "100 Best Albums of the Year"
- 5 stars out of 5 - "...the best British rock album since OK COMPUTER...acomplished, original and majestic..."
- "...There is a cavernous beauty to this album's melodic depression that can't be denied..."
- Ranked #100 in Mojo's "100 Modern Classics" -- "[T]his surely ranks as the most intimate arena rock yet wrought."
- Ranked #31 in Mojo's "Best Albums of 2002"
- "...fragile love songs with a hint of the metaphysic...Coldplay still sound like they care about what they're doing."
- 9 out of 10 - "...An album of outstanding beauty, an organic, wholesome work..."
Customer Reviews of Rush Of Blood To The Head
highly suggested album1/27/2003
This is my first colplay album. It was gift cause of my interest in "Yellow", "Trouble", and "In my place". I hate music these days but this album is great. Its such a relief to know that some music is still worth listening to. Its very mellow, and you'll appreciate it more each time you listen to it. I think Coldplay is a breath of fresh air. If you like Radiohead, and Beck, I think you'll like Coldplay as well.
yah, if your lucky enough to see htem in concert this year u probably will already know by then how great this album is. otherwise, buy a really nice sound system (ie. BOSE) and blast it. GREAT lyrics, rejuvenating, not too heavy, not too soft, just right. SCIENTIST, CLocks there previous album, parachutes is just as good
Coldplay is the best10/11/2002
a rush of blood to the head is the best cd i've listened to so far. Coldplay combines intense melodies of loss and inequality and one of love. "Green Eyes" combines that acoustic sound for a really emotional song that ends great. "Clocks" combines melodies of piano and he sings really high. it's intense. great music. Most of the songs contain piano. Coldplay is magnificent at writing music. This cd surpasses that of their "Parachutes" cd. Catchy tunes make this album a masterpiece of music.