Unplugged In New York (1994)
Album Notes and Credits
Notes & Personnel Info
|Nirvana: Kurt Cobain (vocals, acoustic guitar); Dave Grohl (vocals, bass, drums); Krist Novoselic (guitar, accordion, bass).|
|Additional personnel: Cris Kirkwood (acoustic guitar, bass); Pat Smear, Curt Kirkwood (acoustic guitar); Lori Goldston (cello).|
|Recorded live at Sony Music Studios, New York, New York on November 18, 1993.|
|UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK is part of MTV's "Unplugged" series.|
|UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK won a 1996 Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Performance.|
|Personnel: Kurt Cobain (vocals, guitar); Dave Grohl (vocals, drums); Krist Novoselic (guitar, accordion); Cris Kirkwood (guitar, background vocals); Curt Kirkwood, Pat Smear (guitar); Lori Goldston (cello).|
|Recording information: Sony Studios, New York, NY (11/18/1993).|
|Photographer: Frank Micelotta.|
|Sadly, MTV Unplugged stands as Nirvana's last album. While it's an album of covers and old songs, it ranks as one of the band's most cohesive records. Instead of relying on the trio's overpowering sonic force, Unplugged concentrates on Kurt Cobain's subtly shaded songwriting and Nirvana's deceptively simple musical power. Every version of their previously recorded songs, with the possible exception of "On a Plain," dramatically improves the original, and the covers reveal more about Cobain than he intended. By the time Nirvana close with a wrenching, spine-chilling version of Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night," the emotional complexity of Nirvana's music is clear. It's also clear that they could have made even greater music. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine|
Producer: Alex Coletti; Nirvana; Scott Litt
|Down South Slangin 39|
Associated Artists and Works
|Vitamin String Quartet|
|Release Date : 10/01/1994|
|Original Release Date : 1994|
|Catalog ID : GED 24727|
|Label : DGC|
|Number of Discs : 1|
|Studio/Live : Live|
|Mono/Stereo : Stereo|
|SPAR Code : n/a|
|UPC : 00720642472729|
- Included in Rolling Stone's "Essential Recordings of the 90's."
- 4 Stars - Excellent - "...Nirvana's performance is stirring and occasionally brilliant, electricity be damned....Without the wild blasts ordinarily produced to fire Nirvana's sound, Cobain's love-buzz vocals are the focus..."
- Highly Recommended - "...UNPLUGGED captures the moment of Nirvana bathing in its own richly deserved light, and though the moment couldn't last, nothing in the music suggests that there was anything inevitable or natural about the next chapter of the story..."
- "...Listening to MTV UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK is an unsettling experience....the band...concentrates on the numbed-out chamber-grunge numbers....delicacy and intimacy of these acoustic re-arrangements hint...where Nirvana...could have gone..." - Rating: A
- Included in Q Magazine's "90 Best Albums Of The 1990s."
- 4 Stars - Excellent - "...stripped of the noise...the band sounds most moving, possessed of a ragged glory. And...it becomes clearer than ever just how much Nirvana owed to less feted Americans such as The Sneakers, dBs and Mitch Easter's Let's Active..."
- "...UNPLUGGED is about as fine a memento mori as anyone could hope for..."
- "...gut-twistingly poignant....a fine and unreservedly recommended album, a melancholy masterpiece..."
- Ranked #4 in the Village Voice's 1994 Pazz & Jop Critics Poll.
- Ranked #09 in Mojo's "100 Modern Classics" -- "Brittle and heartbruised, Nirvana's songs were stripped bare and scratched out on an acoustic guitar."
- Included in Mojo's "25 Best Albums of 1994" - "...a performance of raw vulnerability that served as the perfect epitaph for poor Kurt Cobain."
- Included on Neil Strauss' list of the Top 10 Albums of '94 - "...These songs...[are] strings of epitaphs delivered in a blistering, electrifying unplugged show."
- Ranked #27 in The NME "Top 30 Heartbreak Albums".
- Ranked #4 in NME's list of the `Top 50 Albums Of 1994.'
- 9 - Excellent Plus - "...this album makes its makers sound legendary. Your hankies should be at the ready..."
Customer Reviews of Unplugged In New York
This is an amazing album. From beginning to end, it draws you in and makes you feel like you are there listening to Nirvana. You hear the audience cheering, and Kurt Cobain joking around. This sheds new light on Nirvana, and some of these versions are better than the album versions. My personal favorites on this album are Polly, Where Did You Sleep Last Night, and Dumb. Buy this album if you like music, no matter what kind!
View all buying options for Unplugged In New York
|SHOP INFORMATION||PRODUCT DETAILS||PRICE/SHIPPING/AVAILABILITY/CONDITION|
+ $1.90 shipping
Shipping: Usually Ships within 1 business day
Condition: Brand New
All products are BRAND NEW and factory sealed. Fast shipping with tracking and delivery confirmation! 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
+ $2.99 shipping
Shipping: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days
Brand New. Shipping from Argentina. CD/DVD New, Sealed & Guaranteed. Playable in all countries. We ship worlwide. Delivery takes 2-3 weeks to the US, 3-4 weeks to all other countries around the world. Holiday-shopping season could add an extra 10 to 14 bu
+ FREE SHIPPING
Shipping: Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days