Your complete professional development course for working with culturally & linguistically diverse young children
As early childhood programs and schools become more culturally and linguistically diverse, professionals need to create settings that welcome "new voices" and help all children succeed. This comprehensive professional development course gives them the in-depth practical guidance they need.
Developed by respected scholar Dina Castro and her expert team, this five-module program is the key to working effectively with diverse children and families and preparing all children for long-term school and social success.
The positive, engaging way to improve cultural responsiveness, New Voices ~ Nuevas Voces is
- field-tested?shown to improve early childhood professionals' practices
- especially useful for working with Latino children and families, but can also be applied broadly to address cultural diversity in all early childhood settings
- developed for children from birth to five years of age in classrooms and home-based settings
- based on actual professional development needs, determined by the authors' extensive work in their training institutes
- flexible?can be used for professional development with early childhood teachers, administrators, SLPs, psychologists, and more
- equally appropriate for preservice instruction or inservice professional development
Professional development instructors will love the facilitator's manual on CD-ROM which gives them a complete professional development package with
- printable PowerPoint slides
- helpful instructor notes
- sample agendas
- group learning activities, and
- handouts such as self-assessment instruments and training evaluation forms.
The New Voices ~ Nuevas Voces handbook (sold separately)gives readers thorough coverage of each module, enhanced with learning objectives, case studies, reflection questions, and an assessment scale and observation checklist administrators can use to monitor staff improvement.
With this invaluable program, early childhood professionals will develop the skills, sensitivity, and knowledge to meet the developmental and learning needs of the diverse children in their program.
Learn culturally responsive and linguistically appropriate practices through 5 modules:
- Foundations of Cultural Diversity, such as identity development and how stereotypes are formed
- Cross-Cultural Communication, including developing listening skills and working with interpreters
- Understanding Diverse Families and Their Roles, with insights on child rearing across cultures, attitudes toward disability and building partnerships with families
- Supporting Language Development in Young Bilingual Children, including how children learn a second language and assessment of young bilingual children
- Working with Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Children, with activities for classrooms and home-based services