Canon's GPS Receiver GP-E2 records GPS information like longitude, latitude, elevation, direction and Universal Coordinated Time (UTC) as EXIF data on photo files using a compatible EOS camera. This lightweight, compact unit can also serve as an electronic compass or a stand-alone GPS recorder. It was designed specifically for the EOS system, and offers USB and hot-shoe connections with the EOS 5D Mark III and the EOS-1D X (USB connection-only with the EOS 7D). It's also compatible with the Rebel T5i via USB, and with the EOS Rebel T4i and Rebel SL1 via the Digital terminal on each camera.
The GP-E2 offers the same level of dust- and weather-resistance as the EOS 5D Mark III camera when connected to the camera's hot-shoe. Dust- and weather-resistance decreases when it's connected to the camera via the USB cable. For simple and accurate recording of time and location information, the GP-E2 is an ideal complement to the EOS System.
- Rugged and lightweight design
- Records location information (longitude, latitude, elevation, direction, and universal coordinated time (UTC)) as EXIF information to images when shooting
- Can act as a stand-alone GPS logger
- On-board electronic compass
- Camera time can be synched by the built-in clock
- Uses a conveniently replaceable AA battery as its power source so no energy is drawn from the camera's battery
- Hot shoe, USB terminal, or Digital terminal connectivity