The 4-Series of AudioQuest speakers cables may be the most successful in AudioQuest's 30+ year history. Type 4's roots go all the way back to the late 80's. The fundamental geometry and conductor complement of Type 4 hasn't changed since 1995 because any change to the size or position of the 4-Series' 2-sized Spread-Spectrum conductor arrangement would reduce performance. SOLID LONG-GRAIN COPPER (LGC) CONDUCTORS:andnbsp;Type 4's solid Long-Grain Copper allows a smoother and clearer sound than cables using typical OFHC (Oxygen-Free High-Conductivity) copper. OFHC is a general metal industry specification regarding "loss" without any concern for distortion. LGC has fewer oxides within the conducting material, less impurities, less grain boundaries, and definitively better performance. All four of Type 4's conductors are solid. Electrical and magnetic interaction between strands in a conventional cable is the single greatest source of distortion, often causing a somewhat harsh, dirty and confused sound. Solid conductors are the most important ingredients enabling Type 4's very clear sound. Whether a conductor is solid or stranded, skin-effect is a prime distortion mechanism in speaker cables. Type 4 very simply keeps this effect out of the audio range by using conductor sizes that are below the threshold for audible distortion. CARBON-BASED NOISE-DISSIPATION and CROSS-TALK-DISSIPATION SYSTEMS (INSULATION):andnbsp;The two negative conductors in Type 4 are insulated with partially conductive Carbon-Loaded Polyethylene. This remarkable material damps radio-frequency garbage from being fed back into the amplifier. The sonic benefit is exactly the same reduction in "hash" and better dimensionality that comes whenever RF garbage is reduced in an audio circuit. Type 4 uses Nitrogen-Injected Foamed-Polyethylene Insulation on its positive conductors because air absorbs next to no energy, and Polyethylene is low-loss and has a benign distortion profile. Thanks to all the air in Foamed-PE, it causes much less of the out-of-focus effect common to other materials. STAR-QUAD GEOMETRY:andnbsp;The relationship between conductors defines a cable's most basic electrical values (capacitance and inductance). However, even when those variables are kept in a reasonable balance, the relationship between conductors can be varied in ways that greatly affect the sound. The Star-Quad construction of Type 4 allows for significantly better dynamic contrast and information intelligibility than if the same conductors were run in parallel. SPREAD-SPECTRUM TECHNOLOGY (SST):andnbsp;Any single size or shape of conductor has a specific distortion profile. Even though radially symmetrical conductors (solid or tubular) have the fewest discontinuities, any conductor of a particular size does have a sonic signature. SST is a method for significantly reducing the awareness of these character flaws by using a precise combination of different size conductors. The different SST-determined conductor sizes used in Type 4 allow an exceptionally clear, clean and dynamic sound. TERMINATIONS:andnbsp;AudioQuest offers a wide range of high-quality connectors that allow Type-4 to be securely attached to any type of equipment. Quality is in the low-distortion sound, not necessarily in the eye-candy effect. AQ ends are either a dull looking gold or silver because these metals are plated directly over the connector. There is no shiny and harsh sounding nickel layer underneath. AQ PK-spade plugs are soft because better metal is soft, and facilitates a higher quality connection. For pieces requiring a banana plug or BFA connector the AQ PK-BFA/Banana provides unprecedented performance over conventional brass versions. andnbsp;
- Item Package Quantity:
Return and Tax Policies
You can return an item within the first 30 days from the shipping date. We'll gladly exchange it or give you a refund for the full amount of the merchandise-whichever you prefer. All returned or exchanged items must be in their original box and include packing material, manuals, and all accessories. Customers are responsible for return shipping costs and a 10% restocking fee will be collected on all opened items unless shipped damaged or defective and must be reported within 24 hours upon receiving the product. When your returned product arrives at Abt, either a refund will be issued or we will exchange your product and send a new one out to you. If you have received a defective unit, some manufacturers may require one service call to diagnose the issue.
- 15 day limit on the return of camcorders, digital cameras, GPS navigation, PDAs, portable DVD players, computers & accessories, sunglasses and watches.
- 10% restocking fee for all opened items unless damaged or defective.
- Opened satellite boxes & systems (or activated cards) may not be returned. Exchanges can be done through the manufacturer.
- No returns on opened computer software, video games and gaming systems.
- Perishable items (water filters, coffee beans, etc.) cannot be returned.
- Free shipping (and reduced shipping) promos do not apply to return/exchange shipping on freighted items (50 lbs or more).
How To Return
1. Call us at 1-800-914-1892 to request a RA (Return Authorization) number. Items cannot be returned and will not be accepted if you do not include a RA number. If you think an item you ordered might be defective, please call Abt technical support at 1-800-914-1892. Often, they can help you solve setup and installation problems by troubleshooting with you over the phone. If it turns out you do need to return a product, call the Abt customer service department at 1-800-914-1892 and have your invoice number ready.
2. Pack up your merchandise. The item should be returned in the manufacturer's box with all accessories (manual, remote, wires, etc.) along with a copy of your original invoice. Please use the original outside box. A safely packaged and complete return is less likely to incur damage or a restocking fee. Please contact us for instructions on how to pack oversized or freighted items.
3. Attach the appropriate shipping labels. Remove old shipping labels or mark out the original tracking numbers before attaching the new shipping labels. We recommend that you use UPS Ground Service "Insured." To find the nearest UPS location, please call (800) PICK-UPS. If you live within the Chicago area, you can return or exchange your merchandise directly at our store.
Refusing A Package
If you should place an order with Abt and then refuse a package for any reason other than damage to the package, please know that you will receive a refund for the amount of your original transaction less any shipping charges we incurred in getting the package to you originally as well as the cost of the return shipping.
Abt does not collect sales tax on any item ordered to customers outside our normal truck delivery area. If you live within Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana or Michigan, you will incur taxes at the rates listed. IL residents pay 8.75% sales tax, WI sales tax is determined by delivery point (5% to 6.1%), IN residents pay 7% sales tax, and MI residents pay 6% sales tax. You may be required to remit sales tax to your local taxing authority.