A New Standard A new standard for listening to music was proposed while developing the AK100. Astell andamp; Kern recognized that certain aspects of the AK100 needed improvement during research and development for a successor. While considering how to improve the AK100, they realized that there was a difference between measured audio specifications and what they felt sounded good. After much deliberation, their development efforts were focused on making the AK100 2nd Generation "feel" right to their senses rather than mechanically boosting technical specs. The original AK100 was developed according to audio specification standards, but development of the next-generation AK100 was developed to the "New Standard" of how the music sounds. Astell andamp; Kern presents "A New Standard in Listening to Music" with the AK100 2nd Generation. Single DAC and Balanced Out Although the dramatic depth in sound quality delivered by the Balanced Out was proven in their flagship model, Astell andamp; Kern wondered if the same benefit could be gained by implementing the Balanced Out with a Single DAC. The newly designed demo board delivered the ear-pleasing sound quality that is needed. The value of a Balanced Out with a Single DAC is confirmed with every musical note. The AK100 2nd Generation provides a rich, warm sound experience through the re-tuned A-amp designed specifically for the CS4398 Single DAC. Unbalanced vs. Balanced Output The unbalanced method is the most commonly used basic method which consists of andldquo;left and right signals + ground lineandrdquo;. This setup includes a ground line which blocks out external noises from the outside. However, since the ground line cannot block out all of the external noises completely, external noises can be mixed into the signals that are transmitted, which then result in changes to the sound. The longer the signals travel, the more external noises that will be mixed into the sound which is why it is used within a short distance of 1 to 2 meters. Unlike the unbalanced method, the balanced method has an additional cold signal to compliment the hot signal which reduces the external noises. Astell andamp; Kern realized DSD playback through a firmware upgrade for the AK100. However, only 2.8 MHz DSD was supported (88.1kHz PCM conversion/downsampling) due to hardware limitations. Now, 5.6 MHz DSD is supported via 'DSD to PCM' by utilizing a Dual Core CPU. USB DAC The AK100 2nd Generation fully supports USB DAC. The AK100 2nd Generation also functions as an external DAC (sound card) when connected to a PC or Mac via USB. The AK100 2nd Generation's sound quality is available for stored music on any PC or Mac as it serves as a built-in sound card. Playback MQS Streaming With the next-generation AK100, it's no longer necessary to turn on the PC, search for music, connect a device, and transfer files. Simply connect the AK100 2nd Generation to your PC or Mac via Wi-Fi on the same network and download or stream music wirelessly. Full Touch Screen The new AK100 2nd Generation utilizes a 3.31" AMOLED screen, an 82% increase over the previous screen's size. Now, users have access to more on-screen information than ever before. In addition, a full touchscreen means convenient, smartphone-style control. The Album View screen has been completely overhauled. The larger screen offers a view of six albums compared to the previous version's four, and the album art view offers intuitive search functionality. A More Detailed 10-Band 0.5 dB Step EQ A more accurate EQ setting is available by doubling the bands (from 5 to 10) and halving the dB steps (from 1 dB to 0.5 dB). In addition, multiple user EQs are supported so that users may create custom EQs to fit each music genre and change them whenever desired. 64GB + microSD 128GB The AK100 2nd Generation includes 64GB of internal flash storage. With the addition of a 128GB microSD card, the AK100 2nd Generation supports up to a total memory of 192GB. With 64GB of internal memory, the AK120 2nd Generation can store about 625 MQS (24bit/96kHz, 4 minute-long, 90MB) songs. General Specifications Body Color: Smoky Blue Body Material: Aluminum Display: 3.31inch WVGA (480 x 800) AMOLED Touchscreen Supported Audio Formats: andmiddot; WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF , FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF ,DSD : DSD64 , DSD128 Output Level: Unbalance 2.0Vrms / Balance 1.7Vrms (Condition No Load) DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4398 x1 (Single DAC) Decoding: Support up to 24bit/192kHz Bit to Bit Decoding Input: USB Micro-B input (for charging andamp; data transfer (PC andamp; MAC)) / Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device) Outputs: PHONES (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported) Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz) Bluetooth: V4.0 Dimensions: 2.16 andrdquo;(55 mm) [W] x 4.37 andrdquo;(111 mm) [H] x 0.58 andrdquo;(14.9 mm) [D] Weight: 5.99 oz (170 g) Feature Enhancements: Firmware upgrades supported(OTA)
- Built-in Memory-64GB
- Card Slot-Micro SDHC
- Flash Drive-64GB
- Headphone Jack-3.5mm Stereo Headphone Jack
- Optical-Rear Output
- Removable Memory Type-microSD
- USB Port-Micro
|Brand||Astell & Kern|
|Manufacturer||Astell & Kern|
Return and Tax Policies
- For the first 14 days of your purchase you may return the merchandise for a full money back refund, excluding any shipping charges
- No RMA number is required to return an item, simply download and fill out the Return Merchandise form
- All returns must meet our guidelines and include the Adorama or Rakuten.com Shopping Order#s
- Returned or exchanged products must be in brand-new, mint condition, and have all original manufacturers packaging, materials and accessories, including instruction booklets, packing inserts, and blank warranty cards.
- Merchandise missing the original Universal Product Code (UPC) cannot be returned
- The original manufacturer's labeled packaging should be enclosed within an outer shipping box. Please do not write or place shipping labels or stickers on the manufacturer's packaging
- Securely package the product and include the filled out Return Merchandise Form and a copy of the original invoice
- Ship the parcel back to us freight prepaid. We do not accept COD or freight collect shipments. We recommend a shipping method that provides tracking and insurance.
- Ship to:
7 Slater Drive
Elizabeth, NJ 07206.
- Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned will have our standard shipping charges deducted from refund or credit. The return shipping cost (the cost to send an item back to us) is not refundable.
- Please allow up to 8 business days after we receive the package for your return/exchange/refund to be processed. An email confirmation will be sent to you once the return is processed.
Items from the following categories may not be returned once opened:
- DVDs and video tapes
- Bulbs and flash tubes
- Ink cartridges
- Memory cards
- Any item which has been removed from its "blister-pack"
- Printerscannot be returned once toner, ink or ribbon cartridges have been installed
- LCD and plasma TVs and monitors 20" and highercan not be refused or returned once they have shipped, if refused or returned the shipping and handling charges for both ways will be deducted from the credit, and at our discretion a restocking fee might also be deducted. (Any warranty claim must be taken up with the manufacturer directly)
- Note: Upon delivery, please inspect the TV and insure that it is not physically damaged and in operable condition. DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV. Once you sign for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product as is. If the merchandise is damaged, please make the notation on the delivery manifest, and have the person delivering the merchandise sign as a witness to the damages.
- Underwater photography equipmentcannot be returned once they have been used in water
- Cell phones and smart phones- phones will only be accepted for credit or exchange if they register less than 10 minutes cumulative talk time and show no sign of use, defective phones will be exchanged for the same model only.
- Notebooks and computerscannot be returned or exchanged once opened or unwrapped
New Jersey and New York state residents are subject to sales tax.
All California state residents are subject to sales tax by Rakuten.com Shopping
Duties and Taxes The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country and brokerage fees / custom clearance charges which may be imposed by the carrier . These charges must be borne by the recipient; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. In the event a shipment is refused and returned, any taxes, duties, custom fees , brokerage fees or shipping charges incurred from this return, will be the responsibility of the customer.