After successfully launching the AK100 and the AK120 models, Aandamp;K asked themselves, andldquo;What is the ultimate sound quality?andrdquo; After much consideration, Aandamp;K decided to move a step further with their goal, which is to deliver the sound andldquo;exactly as the artist had intendedandrdquo; for all to hear. Moving from the AK100 to AK120, Aandamp;K decided to provide a Dual DAC setup to create better left and right channel separation with clearer sound quality. Aandamp;K thought that the Dual DAC setup would be enough, but while developing the AK240, Aandamp;K felt the need to further improve sound quality in order to accurately reproduce the original sound recording. After countless hours of research and testing, Aandamp;K was able to find the answer. The answer was to create both a balanced output and native DSD playback through the Dual DAC setup. Now with the AK240, Aandamp;K can dare say that they have gotten andldquo;that much closerandrdquo; to the sound quality of the original recording. DSD (Direct Stream Digital) is a digital audio file format originally developed for SACDs (Super Audio CD). Regular digital audio file formats such as PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is separated into 65,000(16bit) to 16,700,000(24bit) of information on the Y axis, and 44,100(44.1kHz) to 192,000(192kHz) across the X axis for digital signals. DSD files have 1bit (0s or 1s) for Y axis and is separated into 2,800,000(2.8MHz) to 5,600,000(5.6MHz) of information for X axis. Compared to regular audio CDs with 16bit/44.1kHz PCM format, SACDandrsquo;s recording frequency goes up to 100kHz and the dynamic range goes beyond 120dB while maintaining sound clarity during the transmission. Native DSD Support One of the approaches Aandamp;K decided that would help us move a step closer to the original sound quality was to provide native DSD playback without having to convert it into PCM. This was indeed a difficult task. In order to provide native DSD playback on the AK240, Aandamp;K had to select a different DAC chipset. Making the decision to change the DAC was not easy, but in order to reach their goal, they had to make a bold move which was to start from scratch. Aandamp;K has asked themselves: Does the DAC support Native DSD? Will it allow for the Dual DAC setup? What else is needed for the perfect Native DSD support? In order to answer these three questions, Aandamp;K has decided to use the Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip in the Dual DAC setup with an added exclusive XMOS chip that will allow for Native DSD support. The process of setting up Native DSD support was not an easy task. Since the main CPU does not process Native DSD, Aandamp;K needed a chip that will work with it. It took them a long time, but Aandamp;K made it work. Through countless hours of testing, they were able to achieve Native DSD playback by having the main CPU process the data, send it to the exclusive XMOS chip, then through the DAC to deliver the sound. Unbalanced vs. Balanced Output The unbalanced method is the most commonly used basic method which consists of andldquo;left and right signals + ground lineandrdquo;. This setup includes a ground line which blocks out external noises from the outside. However, since the ground line cannot block out all of the external noises completely, external noises can be mixed into the signals that are transmitted, which then result in changes to the sound. The longer the signals travel, the more external noises that will be mixed into the sound which is why it is used within a short distance of 1 to 2 meters. Unlike the unbalanced method, the balanced method has an additional cold signal to compliment the hot signal which reduces the external noises. Dual DAC meets Balanced Output It did not take us long to figure out that the AK240andrsquo;s Dual DAC and balanced output resulted in the best sound. During the development of the AK100 and AK120, Astellandamp;Kern's specific analogue amp setup was already creating full balanced analogue signals streaming from the DAC and Aandamp;K was able to move a step closer towards the original sound by then creating a balanced output terminal at the end. Specifications: Model: AK240 Body Color: Gun Metal Body Material: Aircraft Grade Duralumin Display: 3.31inch WVGA (480 x 800) AMOLED Touchscreen Supported Audio Formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE(Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF Sample rate: FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF : 8kHz ~ 192kHz (8/16/24bits per Sample)/ DSD Native : DSD64 (1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128 (1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo Output Level: Unbalance 2.1Vrms / Balance 2.3Vrms (Condition No Load) DAC: Cirrus Logic CS4398 x2 (Dual DAC) Decoding: Support up to 24bit/192kHz Bit to Bit Decoding, DSD64/128 Input: USB Micro-B input (for charging andamp; data transfer (PC andamp; MAC)) / Connection Mode : MTP (Media Device) Outputs: PHONES (3.5mm) / Optical Out (3.5mm) / Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported) Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz) Bluetooth: V4.0 Dimensions: 2.59 andrdquo;(66 mm) [W] x 4.21 andrdquo;(107 mm) [H] x 0.68 andrdquo;(17.5 mm) [D] Weight: 6.5 oz (185 g) Feature Enhancements: Firmware upgrades supported (OTA) andnbsp; andnbsp;
- FREE Ground Shipping!
Return and Tax Policies
- For the first 14 days of your purchase you may return the merchandise for a full money back refund, excluding any shipping charges
- No RMA number is required to return an item, simply download and fill out the Return Merchandise form
- All returns must meet our guidelines and include the Adorama or Rakuten.com Shopping Order#s
- Returned or exchanged products must be in brand-new, mint condition, and have all original manufacturers packaging, materials and accessories, including instruction booklets, packing inserts, and blank warranty cards.
- Merchandise missing the original Universal Product Code (UPC) cannot be returned
- The original manufacturer's labeled packaging should be enclosed within an outer shipping box. Please do not write or place shipping labels or stickers on the manufacturer's packaging
- Securely package the product and include the filled out Return Merchandise Form and a copy of the original invoice
- Ship the parcel back to us freight prepaid. We do not accept COD or freight collect shipments. We recommend a shipping method that provides tracking and insurance.
- Ship to:
7 Slater Drive
Elizabeth, NJ 07206.
- Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned will have our standard shipping charges deducted from refund or credit. The return shipping cost (the cost to send an item back to us) is not refundable.
- Please allow up to 8 business days after we receive the package for your return/exchange/refund to be processed. An email confirmation will be sent to you once the return is processed.
Items from the following categories may not be returned once opened:
- DVDs and video tapes
- Bulbs and flash tubes
- Ink cartridges
- Memory cards
- Any item which has been removed from its "blister-pack"
- Printerscannot be returned once toner, ink or ribbon cartridges have been installed
- LCD and plasma TVs and monitors 20" and highercan not be refused or returned once they have shipped, if refused or returned the shipping and handling charges for both ways will be deducted from the credit, and at our discretion a restocking fee might also be deducted. (Any warranty claim must be taken up with the manufacturer directly)
- Note: Upon delivery, please inspect the TV and insure that it is not physically damaged and in operable condition. DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV. Once you sign for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product as is. If the merchandise is damaged, please make the notation on the delivery manifest, and have the person delivering the merchandise sign as a witness to the damages.
- Underwater photography equipmentcannot be returned once they have been used in water
- Cell phones and smart phones- phones will only be accepted for credit or exchange if they register less than 10 minutes cumulative talk time and show no sign of use, defective phones will be exchanged for the same model only.
- Notebooks and computerscannot be returned or exchanged once opened or unwrapped
New Jersey and New York state residents are subject to sales tax.
All California state residents are subject to sales tax by Rakuten.com Shopping
Duties and Taxes The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country and brokerage fees / custom clearance charges which may be imposed by the carrier . These charges must be borne by the recipient; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. In the event a shipment is refused and returned, any taxes, duties, custom fees , brokerage fees or shipping charges incurred from this return, will be the responsibility of the customer.