While Manley was designing the VOXBOX they couldn't help but notice how well it works on other instruments besides voice. There are some great settings for drums, bass, guitar, and keys and the two separate sections can be used together or independently. Stereo using two VOXBOXes? You know they couldnt resist planning for that as well. There are Stereo Links for both the compressor and the De-Ess/Limiter sections, special compression settings and super-sweet EQ frequencies for your mix or pre-mastering. So don't just use it for voice. The name "VOXBOX" represents only the beginning! MICROPHONE PREAMPLIFIER SECTION: The preamplifier is a clone of a highly regarded and popular mic pre: the Manley Mono Microphone Preamplifier. The mic input transformer is their own design wound in-house at the Manley Labs factory. High current 48V Phantom power is switchable from the front panel. A simple and effective passive BASS CUT switch kills rumble and reduces popping. The INPUT ATTENUATOR is a variable pad control situated before the first tube stage allowing the preamplifier to accommodate +4 line level signals via the balanced LINE INPUT and instruments via the front panel 1/4" DIRECT INPUT. These inputs are selected in the middle position of the dual-function phase invert switch. Manley provides both transformer balanced XLR output as well as a transformerless "audiophile" 1/4" phone jack output. The Gain switch is actually a clever variable feedback control that changes not only the gain but the slew rate and flavor of the circuit. With it you can choose how laid back and mellow or how upfront and aggressive you want it to get. Headroom is a strong point in this circuit, +31dBu capable. This is 5 to 10 dB better than almost all other pro gear. The music passes through super-clean pure Class A vacuum tube circuitry. There are obvious advantages to this purist approach and foremost is the un-electronic final sound that carries emotion into the digital realm. COMPRESSOR SECTION: This cool compressor design is the result of blending the control ideas in Manley's best selling Variable MU Compressor Limiter with the opto-isolator approach of their Electro-Optical Limiter. They figured out how to compress the signal before it hit the tubes with no detrimental effect on distortion or frequency response. This way, it can prevent mic-pre clipping and eliminate whole stages of electronics. This cuts the typical path of mic to tape in half! Manley also pioneered new thinking in the sidechain. Rather than compromise, they developed a technique of using up to four different time constants simultaneously and controlling them with familiar simple attack, release and threshold controls. Manley calls the approach "Parametric Compression". They developed optimum settings or presets based on the Light Dependent Resistors of their own fast ELOP Limiter - the quick LA-2A, the slower LA-3A - and then created more complex special settings. This extended range and method of timing delivers fresh sounds from powerhouse punching drums to super-solid bass yet can also emulate the way good engineers delicately ride a fader while recording. It is transparent and liquid-smooth on vocals, easy to use and accurate. Also rare for an opto-based dynamic processor, this compressor works great on mixes. Of course, youll be needing two VOXBOXes linked in stereo. EQ SECTION: Lots of folks requested that we include the Pultec Mid Frequency Equalizer in the VOXBOX, but they wanted MORE.... Now we've extended it to 33 frequencies in 3 bands with 6 new frequencies from 20 Hz to 150 Hz, and 6 more in the highs from 6.4 KHz to 20 KHz. Ever notice that only EQs with real inductors have the bottom end magic or that only Class A circuitry can keep the top end sweet? This is for you. The EQ INPUT switch patches in the Line Input, Preamp Output, or the INSERT return. This switch serves double-duty acting as a bypass switch for the preamp and/or external processors or for processing two different tracks.DE-ESSER & LIMITER SECTION:Designed by folks with admittedly large gaps between their two front teeth, (Hutch and EveAnna) the VOXBOX combo also includes a de-esser & peak limiter based on our original ELOP Limiter design but with an added passive LC network to handle the de-essing four carefully chosen notch frequencies from 3KHz to 12KHz. (That 3KHz setting really tames those annoying frequencies!) The fifth position gives you a limiter which totally mimics the famous LA-2A. This means you can both compress pre-EQ then limit here post-EQ. Another cool feature is the ability to insert this de-esser silently and smoothly as the music plays, using it as needed.Features & Specifications:MANLEY transformers w/nickel laminations in mu-metal cases2 kOhm MIC INPUT Z w/High current 48V Phantom power built-inHi-Z (100K) Direct Instrument InputLINE & INSERT INPUTS (balanced XLR & 1/4")PREAMP & EQ outputs LO-Z (50W)Transformer balanced XLR outputsTransformerless unbalanced 1/4"outputsSTEREO LINK for Compressor & De-esser/LimiterSIDE CHAIN MONITOR for De-EsserLarge ILLUMINATED Sifam METER with FIVE readout modes - (older units before serial number MVB**1359 shipped before 9/2003 use: 12V 1.2W FESTOON LAMPS; Manley's Part Number: VAR016C) Order spare bulbs using our parts order form. (newest units after serial number MVB**1359 shipped after 9/2003 use yellow LED lighting)THD + N (1KHz @ +20 dBu): 0.3%Maximum output: +31dBu
Return and Tax Policies
- For the first 14 days of your purchase you may return the merchandise for a full money back refund, excluding any shipping charges
- No RMA number is required to return an item, simply download and fill out the Return Merchandise form
- All returns must meet our guidelines and include the Adorama or Rakuten.com Shopping Order#s
- Returned or exchanged products must be in brand-new, mint condition, and have all original manufacturers packaging, materials and accessories, including instruction booklets, packing inserts, and blank warranty cards.
- Merchandise missing the original Universal Product Code (UPC) cannot be returned
- The original manufacturer's labeled packaging should be enclosed within an outer shipping box. Please do not write or place shipping labels or stickers on the manufacturer's packaging
- Securely package the product and include the filled out Return Merchandise Form and a copy of the original invoice
- Ship the parcel back to us freight prepaid. We do not accept COD or freight collect shipments. We recommend a shipping method that provides tracking and insurance.
- Ship to:
7 Slater Drive
Elizabeth, NJ 07206.
- Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned will have our standard shipping charges deducted from refund or credit. The return shipping cost (the cost to send an item back to us) is not refundable.
- Please allow up to 8 business days after we receive the package for your return/exchange/refund to be processed. An email confirmation will be sent to you once the return is processed.
Items from the following categories may not be returned once opened:
- DVDs and video tapes
- Bulbs and flash tubes
- Ink cartridges
- Memory cards
- Any item which has been removed from its "blister-pack"
- Printerscannot be returned once toner, ink or ribbon cartridges have been installed
- LCD and plasma TVs and monitors 20" and highercan not be refused or returned once they have shipped, if refused or returned the shipping and handling charges for both ways will be deducted from the credit, and at our discretion a restocking fee might also be deducted. (Any warranty claim must be taken up with the manufacturer directly)
- Note: Upon delivery, please inspect the TV and insure that it is not physically damaged and in operable condition. DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV. Once you sign for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product as is. If the merchandise is damaged, please make the notation on the delivery manifest, and have the person delivering the merchandise sign as a witness to the damages.
- Underwater photography equipmentcannot be returned once they have been used in water
- Cell phones and smart phones- phones will only be accepted for credit or exchange if they register less than 10 minutes cumulative talk time and show no sign of use, defective phones will be exchanged for the same model only.
- Notebooks and computerscannot be returned or exchanged once opened or unwrapped
New Jersey and New York state residents are subject to sales tax.
All California state residents are subject to sales tax by Rakuten.com Shopping
Duties and Taxes The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country and brokerage fees / custom clearance charges which may be imposed by the carrier . These charges must be borne by the recipient; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. In the event a shipment is refused and returned, any taxes, duties, custom fees , brokerage fees or shipping charges incurred from this return, will be the responsibility of the customer.