The Series 180 consists of three compact miniature microphones with patterns that satisfy the demands of all common studio applications. Because of its optimized mechanical construction and conscious omission of modularity, which is unnecessary in many cases, the Series 180 is predestined for economy-minded production and home recording studios. The KM 183 omnidirectional and KM 185 hypercardioid microphones are based on the tremendously successful KM 184 cardioid microphone, which has become a standard within the global studio community in just a very short time. All Series 180 microphones are available with either matte black or nickel finish. They come in a folding box with a windshield and two stand mounts that permit connection to the microphone body, or the XLR-connector.The KM 183 and KM 184 microphones are the successors of the well-proven KM 83 and KM 84, which have been used worldwide with great success since the 1970s. The KM 185 rounds out the series with a hypercardioid microphone. The KM 183 is a pressure transducer with a boost of approximately 7 dB at 10 kHz in the free field. In the diffuse sound field it has a flat frequency response. The pressure gradient transducers KM 184 and KM 185 feature very smooth frequency responses not only for the 0 axis, but also for lateral (off-axis) sound incidence. In typical usage, there is no coloration of sound over a wide pickup angle. Although the KM 184 has the same capsule as the KM 84, the microphone differs slightly on the 0 frequency response: The KM 184 has a gentle rise at about 9 kHz, a characteristic that was introduced very successfully with the KM 140. The result is a tonal balance that is fresher and livelier when compared to the KM 84 with its flat frequency response in that band. This difference was achieved with just a slight change of the capsule's rear opening, and is not due to resonances. The KM 185 with its hypercardioid characteristic features attenuation of sound incidence from the side or rear of about 10 dB, with minimum sensitivity at an angle of 120.The Series 180 microphones have the same transformerless circuitry as is used in the KM 100 system, resulting in excellent technical specifications. Compared to the KM 84, the dynamic range of the KM 184 increased by 24 dB mainly through the reduction of self-noise level to only 22 dB (CCIR) and an increased sound pressure handling capability of up to 138 dB. The microphones operate without any problems, even if the input of following equipment happens to be unbalanced, for example as in some DAT recorders.The output of the Series 180, as in all Neumann microphones, is balanced and phantom (48V) powered.The Series 180 is a good choice for all users who look for a high-quality miniature microphone, but do not need the complex, modular KM 100 system, which continues to be part of the Neumann product range. The mechanical construction was simplified; for example, capsule and output stage cannot be separated from each other. For this reason the Series 180 is an economical alternative without giving up the electroacoustic features the users expect from Neumann microphones. Their slender shapes and the transmission characteristics described below make the Series 180 especially suitable for a very wide range of tasks in the radio and television sector.
- Black Matt Finish: The black matt finish makes the microphone less conspicuous, thus making it a suitable microphone for television broadcast.
- Cardioid Polar Pattern: The cardioid polar pattern effectively minimizes noise at the off-axis sections of the microphone. This makes it suitable for broadcast and recording situations where ambient noise is prevalent.
- Compact Rugged Construction: The slim design and rugged construction allow easy microphone placement while remaining road worthy.
- KM 100 Based Output Stage: The KM 184MT features the same output stage electronics as the KM 100. Transformer-less circuitry and quiet balanced output design ensure a clean, high gain output signal without any coloration.
Return and Tax Policies
- For the first 14 days of your purchase you may return the merchandise for a full money back refund, excluding any shipping charges
- No RMA number is required to return an item, simply download and fill out the Return Merchandise form
- All returns must meet our guidelines and include the Adorama or Rakuten.com Shopping Order#s
- Returned or exchanged products must be in brand-new, mint condition, and have all original manufacturers packaging, materials and accessories, including instruction booklets, packing inserts, and blank warranty cards.
- Merchandise missing the original Universal Product Code (UPC) cannot be returned
- The original manufacturer's labeled packaging should be enclosed within an outer shipping box. Please do not write or place shipping labels or stickers on the manufacturer's packaging
- Securely package the product and include the filled out Return Merchandise Form and a copy of the original invoice
- Ship the parcel back to us freight prepaid. We do not accept COD or freight collect shipments. We recommend a shipping method that provides tracking and insurance.
- Ship to:
7 Slater Drive
Elizabeth, NJ 07206.
- Items that qualified for free shipping that are being returned will have our standard shipping charges deducted from refund or credit. The return shipping cost (the cost to send an item back to us) is not refundable.
- Please allow up to 8 business days after we receive the package for your return/exchange/refund to be processed. An email confirmation will be sent to you once the return is processed.
Items from the following categories may not be returned once opened:
- DVDs and video tapes
- Bulbs and flash tubes
- Ink cartridges
- Memory cards
- Any item which has been removed from its "blister-pack"
- Printerscannot be returned once toner, ink or ribbon cartridges have been installed
- LCD and plasma TVs and monitors 20" and highercan not be refused or returned once they have shipped, if refused or returned the shipping and handling charges for both ways will be deducted from the credit, and at our discretion a restocking fee might also be deducted. (Any warranty claim must be taken up with the manufacturer directly)
- Note: Upon delivery, please inspect the TV and insure that it is not physically damaged and in operable condition. DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV. Once you sign for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product as is. If the merchandise is damaged, please make the notation on the delivery manifest, and have the person delivering the merchandise sign as a witness to the damages.
- Underwater photography equipmentcannot be returned once they have been used in water
- Cell phones and smart phones- phones will only be accepted for credit or exchange if they register less than 10 minutes cumulative talk time and show no sign of use, defective phones will be exchanged for the same model only.
- Notebooks and computerscannot be returned or exchanged once opened or unwrapped
New Jersey and New York state residents are subject to sales tax.
All California state residents are subject to sales tax by Rakuten.com Shopping
Duties and Taxes The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country and brokerage fees / custom clearance charges which may be imposed by the carrier . These charges must be borne by the recipient; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. In the event a shipment is refused and returned, any taxes, duties, custom fees , brokerage fees or shipping charges incurred from this return, will be the responsibility of the customer.