"Mary Mapes succeeds in telling her story fearlessly, humorously and compellingly."--"The ""Dallas"" Morning News"
A riveting play-by-play of a reporter getting and defending a story that recalls "All the" "President's Men," "Truth and Duty" puts readers in the center of the "60 Minutes II" story on George W. Bush's shirking of his National Guard duty. The firestorm that followed that broadcast--a conflagration that was carefully sparked by the right and fanned by bloggers--trashed Mapes' well-respected twenty-five year producing career, caused newsman Dan Rather to resign from his anchor chair early and led to an unprecedented "internal inquiry" into the story...chaired by former Reagan attorney general Richard Thornburgh.
"Truth and Duty" examines Bush's political roots as governor of Texas, delves into what is known about his National Guard duty--or lack of service--and sheds light on the solidity of the documents that backed up the National Guard story, even including images of the actual documents in an appendix to the book. It is peopled with a colorful cast of characters--from Karl Rove to Sumner Redstone--and moves from small-town Texas to Black Rock--CBS corporate headquarters--in New York City.
"Truth and Duty" connects the dots between a corporation under fire from the federal government and the decision about what kinds of stories a news network may cover. It draws a line from reporting in the trenches to the gutting of the great American tradition of a independent media and asks whether it's possible to break important stories on a powerful sitting president.
..."illuminating..."--"The Buffalo News"
- Book Format : Paperback
- Number of Pages : 0380
- eBooks : Kobo
- Publisher : St. Martin's Griffin
|Brand||St. Martin's Griffin|
|Manufacturer||St. Martin's Griffin|
Return and Tax Policies
Our return policy is one of the most highly rated today. Unbeatablesale.com has a money back guaranty on products returned within 30 days. In order to receive proper credit on your return, please contact us for an RA. Once you receive an RA all items must be returned within 30 days of receiving your order. We do not accept returns after 30 days. If the package is refused or returned without our issuing of an RA or without the RA # on it, a restocking fee will be applied. We will be unable to refund your cost of the original shipping if you decide that you do not want the order after it has already been submitted.
Please note: We do not issue prepaid return labels. All returns must be in their original carton with all packing material intact. All returns must be sent freight prepaid by the customer and insured. Orders refused at delivery will be assessed all of the applicable fees listed above including the return fee, our shipping costs and a 25% restocking fee.
If the items is damaged in transit or DOA an exchange will be made or refund issued.
1) For all Furniture items we will replace any parts that are damaged but the item may not returned if there is buyer’s remorse.
2) We will not accept returns on Sports related autographed Memorabilia and Collectables or on any custom made items such as any customized car mats or childrens furniture.
3) We will not accept returns on any Shavers, Personal Care items, Cosmetics or Intimate products that have been opened.
4) We will not accept returns on any Software, Video Games, Computer Parts, or Laptop/PC's.
5) We will not accept returns on any Costumes purchased from Aug. 1 until Oct 30. - after October 30. Also, We will not accept any returns at all for any Wigs, Makeup, Tights or Shoes that have been worn.
New Jersey state residents are subject to sales tax.