This book examines the nature and operation of social thought and language as used in everyday life, and looks at social thinking through the complex patternings and functions of discourse. It is based on extensive empirical evidence about the language of contemporary racism and nationalism, drawn from the vast corpus of the discourse of Swiss racism gathered by the author from a variety of written and spoken sources. Three pricipal investigations, of sociocentrism, casuality and the perception of time, are used to situate and define the nature and working of everyday speech and reasoning. Windisch analyses the patterns of discursive moves and their `underlying logics'.
First published in English in 1990, Speech and reasoning in everyday life is a major contribution to the analysis of the discourse of contenporary ideology and politics. The author criticizes those psychological approaches which ignore the social dimensions of human knowledge and treat thinking purely as a matter of individual psychology. In this respect his notion of `sociocognitive' structure resembles that of `social representation'. However, his work is much more firmly located within the analysis of language and discourse structure than the work of most social representation theorists. Its theoretical contribution makes this work richly deserving of an introduction to an English-speaking audience of sociologists, social psychologists, sociolinguists and anthropoligists.
- Book Format : Paperback
- Publisher : Cambridge University Press
- Number of Pages : 0236
Return and Tax Policies
Our return policy is one of the most highly rated today. Unbeatablesale.com has a money back guaranty on products returned within 30 days. In order to receive proper credit on your return, please contact us for an RA. Once you receive an RA all items must be returned within 30 days of receiving your order. We do not accept returns after 30 days. If the package is refused or returned without our issuing of an RA or without the RA # on it, a restocking fee will be applied. We will be unable to refund your cost of the original shipping if you decide that you do not want the order after it has already been submitted.
Please note: We do not issue prepaid return labels. All returns must be in their original carton with all packing material intact. All returns must be sent freight prepaid by the customer and insured. Orders refused at delivery will be assessed all of the applicable fees listed above including the return fee, our shipping costs and a 25% restocking fee.
If the items is damaged in transit or DOA an exchange will be made or refund issued.
1) For all Furniture items we will replace any parts that are damaged but the item may not returned if there is buyer’s remorse.
2) We will not accept returns on Sports related autographed Memorabilia and Collectables or on any custom made items such as any customized car mats or childrens furniture.
3) We will not accept returns on any Shavers, Personal Care items, Cosmetics or Intimate products that have been opened.
4) We will not accept returns on any Software, Video Games, Computer Parts, or Laptop/PC's.
5) We will not accept returns on any Costumes purchased from Aug. 1 until Oct 30. - after October 30. Also, We will not accept any returns at all for any Wigs, Makeup, Tights or Shoes that have been worn.
New Jersey state residents are subject to sales tax.