In the mid-1930s, author Vera Haldy-Regiers father, a minor, recalcitrant diplomat in Hitlers government, is banished to a post in Vladivostok, Russia, and later to the former German lease territory of Tsingtao, China. While openly critical of the Nazis, he nonetheless remains employed by the German Foreign Office until the end of the war. Together with his wife, he is instrumental in obtaining food and money for the small community of Jewish refugees that fled to Tsingtao, and endures several threats to his life from Nazi officials. After Hitlers defeat, the family loses nearly all its possessions to the Chinese revolutionaries before escaping to the West on an American troop transporter. Their early years in America are filled with severe financial need. But in the midst of hardship, there are gifts of love, support, and friendship that became beacons of enduring hope. Haldy-Regiers poignant memoir traces the familys path from Germany to America via Italy, Turkey, Russia, Japan, China and Cuba. It carries triumphant messages of love, forgiveness, and gratitude for gifts gathered amidst the ruins of war and the pain and injustice of intolerance. As one who knew the authors family in China, I was deeply moved by this beautifully written, honest account of the triumph of a young girls spirit in her ever-tilting world. -Eva Pulverman Jellin *Author: Haldy-Regier, Vera *Binding Type: Paperback *Number of Pages: 212 *Publication Date: 2006/04/01 *Language: English *Dimensions: 9.00 x 6.00 x 0.48 inches
- Publisher : iUniverse
- Number of Pages : 0212
- Book Format : Paperback
Return and Tax Policies
Our return policy is one of the most highly rated today. Unbeatablesale.com has a money back guaranty on products returned within 30 days. In order to receive proper credit on your return, please contact us for an RA. Once you receive an RA all items must be returned within 30 days of receiving your order. We do not accept returns after 30 days. If the package is refused or returned without our issuing of an RA or without the RA # on it, a restocking fee will be applied. We will be unable to refund your cost of the original shipping if you decide that you do not want the order after it has already been submitted.
Please note: We do not issue prepaid return labels. All returns must be in their original carton with all packing material intact. All returns must be sent freight prepaid by the customer and insured. Orders refused at delivery will be assessed all of the applicable fees listed above including the return fee, our shipping costs and a 25% restocking fee.
If the items is damaged in transit or DOA an exchange will be made or refund issued.
1) For all Furniture items we will replace any parts that are damaged but the item may not returned if there is buyer’s remorse.
2) We will not accept returns on Sports related autographed Memorabilia and Collectables or on any custom made items such as any customized car mats or childrens furniture.
3) We will not accept returns on any Shavers, Personal Care items, Cosmetics or Intimate products that have been opened.
4) We will not accept returns on any Software, Video Games, Computer Parts, or Laptop/PC's.
5) We will not accept returns on any Costumes purchased from Aug. 1 until Oct 30. - after October 30. Also, We will not accept any returns at all for any Wigs, Makeup, Tights or Shoes that have been worn.
New Jersey state residents are subject to sales tax.